Wednesday 22 August 2012

Angels of the day

photo (5)
Tuesday Aug 22
Our pilgrim's dinner  last night was good again. The formula seems to be bread, pitcher of cold water, bottles of wine ( must be filled from something big into reused bottles) a starter course, main and dessert. Last night it was spiral pasta with cheese and tiny slices of chorizo sausage, potatoe fries with a whole small trout with buttery crispy skin and yogurt for dessert. Before we went into dinner we had a drink in the bar where I launched the last post on Wifi. I had a special treat there in connecting with Genevieve on Skype!!! I love this iPhone!
Going to bed in Roncevelles I was feeling kind of smug. My feet were in perfect shape and my legs were not at all stiff. I gave them a massage with strawberry cream just to be nice.
Right now I am sitting in the hostel lounge before heading for Pampalona, giving the phone some charge, but no Wifi.
When we started out from Roncevelles we decided to go halfway to Zuberi. 12 km instead of 24 but this did not work out for us. We felt good and did not find a place that suited us and so we kept going. Here is the tricky part, once we were spent there were no more choices and we were forced to go the whole way. We were once again exhausted and me passed my limit. While we were resting on the trail;  we had a nice chat with a couple and their teenage son ( staying in a hotel in Zubiri and there for day hiking)  about 1 km before reaching the town.  They lived in Toulouse. They insisted on carrying our packs the last km to town. We tried to decline but there was no dissuading them. Lori said they were our angels that day. When we were in Zubrini we soaked our legs in the icy river before limping to our hostel.
This time we did not know what we needed the most so we decided to hand wash.. Drink and eat.. Hot shower and then bed to see if that would work better for sleeping. It did .


Sincerely
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment