Monday 27 August 2012

arlene on the trail

photo (6)


Friday - Aug 24th

6:00pm
Today we made our plan of 16 km work. We jumped out of bed at first hostel light and were walking by 6:30am.  It was still a long walk with lots of climb and downhill rocky trails. It was the usual hilly landscape bur today we came across a huge field of windmills and the metal sculpture of walking pilgrims as seen in the movie. We were happy to reach our little stop of Uterga. I had silly insomnia last night so went right to bed for a nap while Lori enjoyed beer on the patio with the Pilgrims. Now that my shower and laundry is done I am enjoying a quiet vodka and orange drink in the cool lounge and looking forward to our pilgrims dinner.  I mentioned yesterday that we had a late lunch with Sangria in Pamplona  yesterday in the square. We split a wonderful pork roast and eggplant on baguette with garlic mayo and a salad. Delicious. 
This afternoon at around the middle of our walk we arrived in a little neighbourhood with water tap which is nice but also the most wonderful tiny kiosk where the lady had almost everything you could imagine for lunch in a tiny 8 X8 store. We had to be careful not to take on too much weight. Our packs are so much more manageable now. It was very hot today again so we had many rest breaks.
I don't know how interested our Camino Caper followers are in what we are eating but for me it a big perk of the day. I think I most closely relate to Joust in the movie, always delighted when something tasty comes our way. In Arre it was the best cafe con leche I ever had, as we were heading out. As you can see in the pictures Lori is about 30% smaller than me, but  she can out drink, eat, and walk me. She is a dynamo.


Sincerely 
Arlene 

No comments:

Post a Comment