Tuesday 18 September 2012

Crying on el Camino de Santiago

Here on el Camino the pilgrims say that everyone will cry at least once. There is a lot to cry about. Painful injuries, broken hearts, soul searching revelations, and even religious reflections. My voice has cracked in exhaustion as I lay by the trail. My voice has cracked with fear as I looked at my horrible feet inching their way towards septic shock. My voice has cracked in frustration, suspecting that my co pilgrim might be tricking me into doing longer walks than I had bargained for.( I know that is not true... I was cranky with sleep deprivation) Tears did not actually drip on these occasions; but here is the truth. It is very nice to listen to music or books on your iPhone while walking long stretches through the countryside. I have been enjoying some old classics. Now tell me please ; who can stay dry eyed when a little red headed orphan girl is brought to a beautiful country home in Prince Edward Island only to discover that the kindly , elderly brother and sister who are willing to adopt, actually want a boy and will probably send her back to the orphanage?! I am crying, just writing this sentence. So that is twice now, once on the trail and once in this lonely bar sipping my vodka and orange juice. I wonder if this counts? I have had the pleasure of seeing the Anne of Green Gables musical three times in PEI.; each time I had a big wad of Kleenex and used them all. I'd better pull myself together here before some pilgrims arrive and start trying to console me. I could never explain this in broken English. 


-Pilgrim A Sincerely Arlene


photo (46)

No comments:

Post a Comment