Monday 10 September 2012

Half of the Way

photo (30)

photo (29)


Saturday - Sept 8
"Izzy James and Delores Martin" reach the halfway mark on el Camino de Santiago!
So where does that Izzy Saint James come from?
I was the fifth child and baby of my family and because my parents already had two boys and two girls it was an easy coin toss of anticipation and they had two names ready. If I had been a boy I was going to be James after my Mother's Father.  As it turned out I became a ringer for my Mother's Mother Isabelle and her friends called me Little  Izzy. I liked the balance in that name and thought I would use it as a Pen Name if I ever wrote a book. My daughter Genevieve remembered this when she set up this wonderful blog.
I had never heard of el Camino de Santiago until Lori invited me to join her. When I investigated I was delighted to see that Saint James has the same birthday as me. July 25th. On further investigation I noticed that there is a lovely little 200 km pilgrimage path that runs from Portugal to Santiago which is called the Queen Isabelle route. 
Is that kismit or what!?
Anyhoo, I suggested to Lori that this 200km route would be enough for two Grannies but she would have none of it. She wanted the primo, classic Saint Frances route. 
So now that we are at the halfway mark of 400 km., we can't help but celebrate a little. Lori is a devote Pilgrim and will walk every step of the way. I am more of an adventurer than a true Pilgrim, but the experience has been wonderful for me as well; even though my feet will never be the same.
What does the second 400km hold for us? It has the feel of an advent calendar. Each day is like opening a tiny door. This morning we watched the sun come up over the long scenic horizon and sang the chorus to that old song" red rubber ball".
Today I found some perfect new strap on hiking sandals. This is a huge deal when all your possessions for 2 months are in a back pack. 
Cheers.
Second Chapter.. of el Camino de Santiago de Compostella to follow in the coming weeks.


Sincerely 
Arlene 

No comments:

Post a Comment