Friday 14 September 2012

On the road alone

photo (35) Well, it looks as if I'm going to have to start pulling my weight blogging, now that Arlene and I have gone our separate ways for a few days. Today's walk was uneventful, just lots of km of flat, straight road. I met a retired Dutch couple who had walked all the way from Holland, over 2,000 km so far!  Also met a Chilean woman, now living in Sweden who just decided she wants to go home. Left her in a bar, looking for a taxi to take her to the nearest town with a train station. The same bar had muscles in their tapa section, got excited since the  best muscles I've ever had (big claim since I'm from NS and have visited Nfld a lot) was in Spain many years ago. These were a disappointment although the olive oil, peppers and onions, sopped up with, crusty, white bread, softened the blow. 
photo (36)


photo (33)
photo (32)


photo (34) photo (37)

Sept. 9. Another day of flat, straight  roads with little scenery change.  Had a great brunch in a bar that was just opening with the company of a very cute Yorkshire terrier and 4 little kittens.  Walked through the city of S ahagun but didn't explore at all because I wanted  to get to the hostel as early as possible to avoid the heat. The hostel is in a 300 year old house, there was water, fruit and candy awaiting arriving pilgrims and soft music playing in the background. The volunteer hosts are welcoming, caring and funny, so I'm much happier tonight, than I was with last night's hostel, that had very little atmosphere. For the first time I , along with other pilgrims,helped with preparing the evening meal. It was an easy way for me to meet some people now that Arlene isn't  with me to break the ice. 
photo (31)

-Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment